July 22, 2011

Cabbage rice



Ingredients

Basmati rice or raw rice -1 cup
Shredded cabbage -1 cup
Fresh peas- 1/2 cup
water- 2 cups for 1 cup of rice



Make a paste of
Coconut- 2-3 tablespoons
Green chillies-2
Coriander leaves -1 handful
Mint leaves - 1 handful
Ginger -1/2 an inch piece
If you want this to be a pulao type, grind cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and garlic too..


To Garnish
Cut bread(preferrably salt bread) into cubes.
Oil or ghee to cook

Procedure
1. Wash the rice and soak for half an hour.
2. Make a paste of coconut,green chillies, ginger, coriander and mint leaves.
3. In the pressure cooker, add a tablespoon of oil or ghee, cook the above paste until the oil separates or raw smell goes.


4. Add the cabbage and peas, Fry for a minute or two.
5. Drain the water from the rice, add it and saute until the rice loses it's moisture. It should take 3-4 minutes.
 6. Add 2 cups of water and salt. Pressure cook it. (for one cup, 2 whistles should be enough..If the rice is more than a cup 1 whistle should be enough)
7. By the time pressure cools down, in a kadai add a tablespoon of oil or ghee, shallow fry the bread cubes until they are crisp. Deep frying enhances the taste but I prefer to simmer and cook with little oil.


8. Open the pressure cooker, once the pressure is off.
 9. Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish it with fried bread. Serve it with raitha. I prepared gooseberry and onion raitha(the recipe will be posted next week!!)

3 comments:

  1. I have had a very offensive relationship with Basmathi rice (as with most food items!) from the moment I started cooking. Anytime I get ambitious in the kitchen and touch that offending item, I end up with mushy goo that sticks to every surface.
    I am going to try this dish today. I know already what the result will be. My family is going to need therapy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lakshmi

    soak the rice for half an hour and fry nicely along with the vegetables. I bet it won't be mushy!

    Gayathri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this cabbage rice!! its so tasty and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...