September 28, 2011

Navarathri Kondaattam

And you thought you had heard the last of me !

Navarathri begins today.  I am tempted to write a long and winding post on Navarathri like I always do, but kitchen beckons a very reluctant LG for some Navarathri goodies.

As a kid, I would wear pattu paavadai, kunjalam, rakodi and the works and with a yellow cloth bag for "collection" visit all the houses in the neighbourhood. This was before the era when you need to call and warn people of your impending visit.  With the tambulam, I would be given a different kind of sundal in each house.  I'd dump them all in the bag and back home, eat the assorted mixture of sundals.  My mother would get ballistic about the fact that I would not touch a single sundal made at home !

Sundal continues to reign supreme during Navarathri now. Only, people are more creative and health conscious.  Instead of the usual coconut garnish, now we have a variety - coriander powder, pepper powder, fried onion (although somehow, adding onion to a religious dish doesn't agree with me, but that's entirely personal), even chat masala and crushed potato chips.  It seems people are getting more and more enviornmentally conscious as well seeing that leaf dhonnais and paper cups are making a comeback.

This is a gentle reminder to Gayathri to start posting recipes of sundals.  What?  You really didn't think I would post recipes, did you ?

Happy Navarathri folks.  May Goddess Anna Poorani and Sagambari bless you with healthy, tasty food daily on your table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...